Saturday, December 10, 2005

Letter to Suresh Caganarajah, part I.

Dear Dr. Caganarajah,

My name is Hilary Anne Ward; I usually sit next to Sharon Schnurr in Ruth Ray's 8050 seminar on writing in the profession. You might not recognize me as a periphery scholar because I am employed at a Research I institution, am white (which employers love) and have no diseases which can be seen crawling across the surface of the eye. However, because I live in an impoverished urban environment, or ghetto, I am constantly subject to the material conditions of periphery scholarship such as living conditions that do not support writing(p. 233), lack of access to the materials and processses of publication (p.184) and socialization in a discourse community with differing conventions from those of center scholarship (p. 58). I am writing as a service learning project for my community in Southwest Detroit; specifically, I am requesting an unlimited extension on all writing assignments for all students who live in the Michigan Ave corridor, bounded by (insert boundaries) and Warren Ave. to the North.

Gotta go for now. That one guy is looking at my mailbox again.

No comments: