Friday, April 22, 2005

staring at my bookbag

Scene II. 319 State. Two minutes before class.

Enter: Laun.

Laun. Certainly my conscience will serve me to run from this Jew my master. The fiend is at mine elbow, and tempts me, saying to me, "Gobbo, launcelot Gobbo, good Launcelot", or "good Gobbo" or "good Launcelot Gobbo, use your legs, take the start and run away--

Joel made an airplane with his hands. Hilary you're going to get heartsick and you're going to CRRRRash, he said.

--my conscience says "NO, take heed honest launcelot, take heed, honest Gobbo", or, as aforesaid, "honest Launcelot Gobbo, do not run, scorn running with thy heels--

I kicked my bookbag.

--Well, the most courageous fiend bids me pack. "Via!" says the fiend: "away" says the fiend. Well, my conscience, hanging about hte neck of my heart, says very wisely to me: " My honest friend Launcelot, being an honest man's son" or rather an honest woman's son, for, indeed, my father did something smack, something grwo to, he had a kind of taste. well, my conscience says "Launcelot, budge not"--

Anything you might be feeling is perfectly natural and okay, Sharon said gently, now give me your cell phone.

"Budge", says the fiend. "Budge not", says my conscience. "Conscience", say I, "you counsel well"; "Fiend, say I, "you counsel well:" to be ruled by my conscience I should stay with the Jew my master, who, god bless the mark, is a kind of devil--

Watch it Launcelot.

--and, to run away from the Jew, I should be ruled by the fiend, who, saving your reverence, is the devil himself. Certainly the Jew is the very devil incarnal--

Launcelot was very special to the Jew while Richard was having his reign of terror on Grad committee.

--"and, in my conscience, my conscience is but a kind of hard conscience, to offer to counsel me to stay with the Jew. The fiend gives the more friendly counsel; I will run, fiend, my heels"-

I kicked my bookbag again.

"my heels are at your command; I will run" (Merchant of Venice II.1).

Shh. My students are at the door.

1 comment:

stacy muszynski said...

haaahaaaa! great rendition. oh how the strange story of our lives interrupt the great story of our literature. --stacy