Wednesday, April 20, 2005

god is cool

pastor: but that's the thing about God: he doesn't care if you're cool or not.
Hilary: Aw, He should.
pastor: God is all-seeing and all-knowing. Why should He care about being cool?
Hilary: because God should try to be the kind of being I would want to get stoned with the day after school ends. No, ON the last day of school.
pastor: Huh.
Hilary: How am I going to relax and tell the Old Testament God about this guy I want to make out with at the top of KP library if He can't stop zapping His chosen people!
pastor: but God already knows what is in your heart.
Hilary: But I don't think God's infinite knowledge is relevant to my salvation. The point is not if God knows what's in my heart or not. The point is what I chose to tell him.
pastor: I hope you will think about what we talked about today and accept Jesus into your heart.

Pastors always act like the point of spiritual enlightenment is to agree that everything God says and does is perfect.

But it's so annoying to be in a relationship with someone who always agrees with you, even if you *are* right! Maybe God thinks of his creations like we think of model airplanes. He wants us eventually to fly but it is sooo cool when we crash. Smash. Whooosh. Swear. Rebuild.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

you know my heart but I do not know you.

There is an echo of something I know in this poem.

Hilary said...

Okay, so the story was that our boy Chris (bless him( brought me to an Amnesty International dinner in the Cass Corridor.

And he had some people to introduce. You know, this is ba, he runs amnesty. This is ba, he works for Forgotten Harvest. And then he came to me.

And, um, this is Hilary. She can really put away some food.

And a preist was there. We hit it off real coool at first because of our shared love of, and fascination with, God.

Then it turned out we disagreed on what I thought were minor details such as, God's identity, name and number.

I kind of said that I thought God looked cooler shaped like an elephant than a clean-shaven white guy.

That's when this conversation started.

Hilary said...

As for my heart, you do intuitively know this:

I am especially partial to the refugee metaphor due to growing up listening to fugees cds.

Or. Maybe the cause and effect relationship goes the other way around.

Hilary

Hilary said...

Will the anonymous poster dare to drink with my girls and me on Saturday?

I thought not.

Thought not.

Not.

stacy muszynski said...

this reminds me of the book jonathan livingston seagull.