Friday, March 09, 2007

Ps, I am 26: notes

It's my 26th birthday and I'm awake in the lab writing my ATTW slideshow as though I like to work or something.

So here's the run-down: This year was comparatively seamless but punctuated by the following:

#1: The turkeys at the end of my block.

#2: A few brief moments when my stomach did not hurt, once while I was watching Ruth clutch her stomach in the 10th floor lounge (is that what it looks like? Stomachaches are hilarious!).

#3: The line "peace among goats".

Still, there are some things that I hazily remember but that seem to could not not have happened.

Take for example not talking to f: I do vaguely remember what that was like as though it were a dream [Keep in mind that "not talking" comprised a thread of 83 email messages titled "ps -- final note"]. But it sounds made-up.

I also had a brief, semi - passionate friendship with an abd grad student that (at that time) seemed very real to me. And sometimes now, when I am being the demanding high-maintenance yaky princess that I am, I remember that there was a point in time and a why that I sharply raised my expectations for others' conduct. But it seems to me now that I was always like that.

Honestly? It feels as though I have not moved from this chair except to get a twix bar. It's amazing that I'm not obese.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Princess. The fact that you were alone saddens me. Would some really bad poetry cheer you up? Let me know and I will make up some of the worst verse you will ever hear. ;)

Hilary said...

The best kind of poetry is entirely spatial.

Anonymous said...

But I suspect I'm no good at spatial poetry, Princess. ;) Besides, I offered you the worst not the best. Just say the word and I will labor to make you laugh.

karmabot said...

real. what a strange word. what seemed real, the abd grad student or the friendship? or the passion?
happy belated.
e

Hilary said...

Should I dare to answer this?

At least to me, his friendship is what seemed real.